Thursday 17 September 2015

What I would be riding - and you really have to do this some time

OK, regarding the comment below, that there are few things that could take you around the world under your own steam for that ... this is the thing.  Just in case you ever get the urge to go bike touring (and I cannot even start to describe how completely awesome it is) - in my opinion, this is the best all round value for money serious touring bike available.  For less than a tenth of the orange fantasy below, the cult-status Surly Long Haul Trucker (this being the disc version - the Disc Trucker) - is the absolute business.  What I love about this thing is how carefully the bits are thought out - mechanical disk brakes - not hydraulics - which use the same cables as regular bike brakes (so you can get parts anywhere).  Bullet-proof frame.  Cheap front derailleur, top quality rear.  Great rims and hubs.  Plenty of attachment points.  Loooong wheel-base, so nice and stable when loaded.  Made of steel.  Just a real touring bike (and by all accounts a jol to ride as a commuter too).  It even has a frame slot for spare spokes - the good people at Surly who build it, clearly did their homework.
This one without its racks and bags - but I think you get the yak thing in the background free (the guy who posted this pic on his blog was raving about the delights of riding this - and I quote: "I really should have had one of these years ago".
When I say loaded - this is what I mean - here is loaded.  And another point - never put a kickstand on a bicyle - it is the best way to immediately stuff the frame up.  This is what sticks are for.


The photo above comes off a lovely blog called The Wandering Nomads, run by a young couple who have been properly bitten by the touring bug, you could say - 20,000 kms worth on these bikes.  Its worth a look http://awanderingphoto.com/ as is the title photo - how fantastic does that look?


Here is a pimped-up version for city commuting - but in P-town I guess that just means sucking fumes all morning and then getting mowed down just before arriving at one's destination.  I cannot believe the volume of cars now on your roads.  Of course if every person flying solo in a car were to swap it for a bike... it would be amazing.
Finally, a blast from the past in the early 90's - and absolutely no-one could I find who was keen to do this with me, so ended up having to go solo. Jackie very kindly lent me a camera in Knysna and a couple of rolls of film.  So glad she did because I treasure these memories.

Somewhere outside East London, Kidds Beach (?) taken by Geordie's then girlfriend Kathy Brooker

Taking a break somewhere near Swellendam

On dirt roads in the mountains near Villiersdorp

No comments:

Post a Comment