Sunday 20 September 2015

The project


Homework has arrived, and with it projects.  Ev is doing a unit on Explorers (I think, or something along those lines) and so had a mini project to go to some place that he'd not been to before, and describe it and why it was interesting - and then there was an optional section on maps which you could add on.  Optional doesn't really move Ev (which is a pity, because I was keen to hide a lego-man in a tree, take the GPS co-ordinate, and then write a riddle to make a treasure map type challenge for him to lay down for his class-mates.  He was having none of that, and I decided that I should probably try to grow up and not be doing this of my own accord - besides, no doubt his lazy-ass classmates would have been equally moved).  I digress.  So Ange suggested we go to a temple (called the Fat Tong Man Tin Hau Temple, Tai Miu for short, go figure) which is a short walk from the CWB club gates, and which Ev had not been to.  Of course I have been there before (some or other project of Aiden's - teachers being about as lazy as students when it comes to doing new things - but man, I must have been there with my eyes closed).  Two things that I discovered about the place this time, was that the first bit of it was built in 1266, (hey!?) and there is an inscription on a rock next to the temple which was done in 1274 - making it the oldest known writing in Hong Kong.  Pretty cool. That's quite a chunk of history that.  1274 was the year of the birth of Robert the Bruce, and the death of Thomas Aquinas.  It is also the origin of the Kamikaze - the divine wind - that helped the Japanese repel Kublai Kahn's warriors.  Amazing.  Above is where it is in Hong Kong.

Ev at the top of the path that goes down to the temple - appropriately dressed in his Eiffel Tower t-shirt (which incidentally, was built six hundred and a few years later).
The Temple court-yard as it is today - Ev adding some dynamism to the photo.
The temple has its own public jetty - I liked this photo for the diagonal and the old Chinese boat in the background.  Very South China Sea feel to this pic, for me.
Here is the temple from the end of the jetty; a dude fishing; Ev heading back at speed.
I convinced him to wear my running watch so that he could track where he'd been on a map - that's how far I could advance the whole map thing without it becoming an issue.  Clearwater Bay Marina is in the bottom right of the pic.


No comments:

Post a Comment