Saturday 7 September 2013

Big George hits the treatment trail

Today is significant - a big day, a happy day.  Your G-pa took the first pill of his treatment today.  It's been a bit of a road to trek, crossing emotional crevasses which fall away into darkness, a seeming endless parade of them, and then this flicker of respite - a treatment that may prolong the time that they have to enjoy themselves.  And to celebrate, ZA won at Suncorp ... and I got it together to post something.  Here they are, just outside their beautiful new house - I'm so happy you've been there, and I agree with what you said - it is lovely.


I want to speak for the collective, there is that temptation - to talk about us and we.  But I will say I rather ... I have been very surprised at what I have seen and felt around this dark news of my dad's - in particular I suppose I've always thought broadly that I come from quite a not-so-close-knit family.  I've never thought that I don't get on with anyone in my immediate or more extended family, it's just that I've been far-flung, and preoccupied; and through this I have been simply amazed about three things: the incredible warmth and sincerity of effort and dependability and love of all my family, near and far.  I am so grateful for all of their visits.  I am so grateful for their close in day to day kind and deep support.  They were all a delight for me to see.  Some of my cousins I've not seen for many many years.  And I found them just beautiful as humans.  Secondly, how bedrock strong some people are.  In particular my brother - lovely Geordie - and it's not that I've ever thought him a flapper of any sort - it's just that he is absolutely continental in his solidity. I am so grateful to him - calm and loving (and professionally profoundly competent - a real bonus).  Thirdly, how beautifully and powerfully life can be lived if  I just open my eyes to all of this and keep seeing it.
Strategic talks with Geordie
And since mentioned, here he is - love this pic - I think he fits this place, we fish together, walk the E-Cape beaches ... something I always LOVED doing with him.  Thought he deserved a funky frame, so I made one in PS.



No comments:

Post a Comment