Sunday 4 December 2016

One hundred and four years old

I gave a few kids and the lovely Louise King a lift to the rugby below. She was telling me on the way home that her father in law is a hundred and four. Inconceivable really.  So he was born in 1912, the same year that the Titanic sunk.  This is what Hong Kong looked like in 1912:


I happened across an exhibition of cars photographed by a guy called Langdon Clay, in New York city in the 1970's. You have to wonder how this stuff survives - but it's really cool that it does.  I'm pretty sure the digital wave will be much worse at preservation - too much - too unstable - everyone too preoccupied with the future.  Anyway, among the photos was one of these - a Ford Galaxy 500, 1966 model.  This was the car that we had when we lived in Houston. I can't actually remember it, but I remember seeing a photo of it - it was white.  What I can remember, is driving in it on some expansive trip - we drove to Colorado I think - and seeing the car we had in South Africa on the road, and all of us absolutely roaring with laughter because it was so very very small.  The picture below lacks a scale reference - but it was an absolute monster. Despite being badged "500", it had in fact a 7 litre engine.



No comments:

Post a Comment