Sunday 29 May 2016

Happy Birthday - Proxy fun run - Comrades

It's a significant day - in order of importance, Granny Rose celebrates her 77th birthday - wish we were all with her on the day in person - it's the Comrades, sitting here waiting for the live feed to start so I can watch the gun go off (will the feed work - yes, but sadly only 2 mins after the start gun, wtf?) - and then sticking with the running theme, our colleagues in the Philippines are hosting their third annual Financial Fun Run in Manila.  So I got up a bit more promptly than I ordinarily would on a Sunday and did a proxy 10km run (see the watch? 10.10km - the extra 100m just to make sure - I was definitely not going back).  Man it is brutally hot and humid at the moment - tropical SUMMER with a capital S (simply 100% humidity; cloud-bursts alternated with steaming bright sunshine, 30 degrees) so I struggled I confess - and ended up laying down a not-quite-olympic time of 1 hour and 4 minutes.  Its been a while since I ran 10kms, if I'd been mindful of time I'm sure I could have pushed below the hour, but still, properly knackered by the end - not remotely a runner, me.  My mate Warren Warner has flown to SA to run the Comrades, so I'll be looking out for him amongst the 20,000.  Pretty sure that I'll never run the Comrades, but I admit it has a certain appeal and mistique - might one make it.  The oldest runner this year is one Mr Vardy, age 77;  Granny Rose, what is all this Knysna chilling?


No comments:

Post a Comment