Sunday 2 March 2014

Macau fiftieth bash

Angie and I on the ferry to Macau for Simon's 50th birthday party.  Instead of some been-there-done-that party, it started with a round of golf (last time I played was when your grandfather turned 70 - so nearly a decade ago - lots to fear), followed by a dinner at Fernando's - certainly one of my fave restaurants in Asia - and then a whole day walking history tour of the city.  This latter bit did not sound like a particularly great idea to me, but Simon is into history, and I thought that it was important to do this if it was what he wanted.  As it turns out it was FANTASTIC - the guy was wonderful, the history stunning and relevant - now I think I will be looking to go one some of the Hong Kong ones he does. 
It was perfect weather, cool and overcast with a gentle breeze.  The course is visually arresting - ocean - vistas etc.  I played with Roy, Keven and Pete.  There were penalties (in the form of a bottle of Vodka) for three putting (did a fair bit of that), and for losing the hole (did a fair bit of that too), so I was pretty well lubricated by the end of the first nine - and feeling very Tiger by the 18th.  Roy must have been thirsty in the picture above - because he's a pretty useful golfer.  Great fun all in all.
We got back to the hotel with an hour-to-shower and then off for a walk along the beach to Fernando's. 
The hotel is in the background of this one, so by the time we were getting near the light had pretty much run out - though I took a couple of cool pics in the gloom - particularly like the one below of Simon and Courtney on their way across.
Fernando's didn't disappoint, great food and sangria, hypercompetitive games of fussball afterwards, and then a moonlit walk back to the hotel.  Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment